Barons dominate Hilbert in soccer match


On Saturday, the Franciscan University men’s soccer team took their next step toward a second-straight postseason berth, downing Hilbert College 8-2, in the process matching the program’s single-game goal record.

Intent upon improving upon their 5-2-1 record, the Barons started hot, taking an early lead they would never relinquish. Just after the three-minute mark in the first half, freshman midfielder Sebastian Koehler found the back of the net, after a diving Hilbert College goalie deflected a shot on goal by senior forward Leo Hermann.

The Barons waited only 21 seconds before adding to their lead, when freshman midfielder JP Bokak capitalized on a deep assist from senior captain Dominic Vander Woude. The goal is Bobak’s sixth on the season, an indication of positive things to come for the Barons.

Vander Woude continued to barrage the Hilbert box with lengthy assists; five minutes after Bobak’s shot found the back of the net, it was Hermann’s turn, transforming Vander Woude’s assist into a chip shot goal for the 3-0 lead, after drawing the Hilbert College goalkeeper from the box.

With ten minutes gone in the first half, it wasn’t long before Head Coach Christian Bobak issued a complete line change for the Barons. Nevertheless, the bench implemented the same aggressive style of play, characterized by astute ball control and concentrated movement.

This time, it was junior defender Jude Ledyard’s turn to line up the assist, rocketing a distanced pass which was shortly redirected into the goal by freshman Gustavo Gutierrez. Twenty more minutes of first half play saw Franciscan extend its lead to 4-0, thanks to senior defender Cutler Ledyard’s second goal of the season, before Hilbert College registered a goal of its own to close out the first half.

Hermann gave the Barons back a five-goal lead at the onset of the second half, taking a Koehler assist and sending into the right corner of the box. The Barons sent an unfortunate own goal past senior goalkeeper Thomas Dosedel, before senior midfielder Hans Baldau gave the Barons something to celebrate, sending a shot into the middle of the net for his first goal of the season.

Seven minutes later, junior midfielder Michael Bobak capped the scoring for the Barons, thanks to a picture-perfect Baldau assist. After four more scoreless minutes, the whistle marked an end to a wildly successful Baron contest.

The Barons have a short respite, before taking to their home field again on Tuesday, for a 2 p.m. showdown with conference opponent Pitt.-Greensburg.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *