News Briefs – National and International



Hurricane Irma Strikes Florida

Twenty-six Floridians have died so far as a result of Hurricane Irma’s striking down in the state.  Millions of survivors are without power, causing many more to suffer in the heat and leading to the deaths of eight seniors between the ages of 71-99.  According to authorities in the Key West area, at least 25 percent of homes have been destroyed and another 65 percent have undergone severe damage.  President Donald Trump visited affected areas on Thursday with his wife Melania and Vice President Mike Pence, at one point helping hand our hoagie rolls to people in a food line.  The president expressed his sincere support for those affected, telling them his administration is “there for you 100%,” according to the Los Angeles Times.


Apple Introduces New iPhones

Apple unveiled three new iPhone designs on Sept. 12, including one with a price tag of $1,000.  The products were unveiled at Apple’s first big event in the Steve Jobs Theater and included a new Apple TV and Apple Watch.  The highlight of the event was the pricey iPhone X (pronounced 10), which is the first iPhone without a home button and with an all-screen display.  In addition to this, Apple announced Face ID, a new way for users to unlock, authenticate and pay using their phone.  This replaces the Touch ID made popular with the iPhone 5S in 2013.  According to CNET, Apple believes that the new Face ID is even more secure than its predecessor.  The new iPhone will hit store shelves on Nov. 3.

White House Fires Back at ESPN Reporter

The White House returned fire with fire in response to an ESPN reporter’s comments regarding President Donald Trump.  Jemele Hill, a co-host for the channel’s “Sports Center” show, posted several tweets attacking the president. These included, among others, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself [with] other white supremacists,” and “Trump is the most ignorant, offensive president of my lifetime.”  The White House responded quickly as Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called Hill’s tweets a “fireable offense.” ESPN announced that the comments do not represent the views of the company and that the network has accepted her apology.



US Citizen Turned ISIS Fighter Detained

An American citizen who has been fighting for ISIS was detained by the United States military on Sep. 12, according to a Pentagon spokesman.  US Marine Corps Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway told CNN that the unnamed American citizen had been turned over to US forces by Syrian Democratic Forces and that the citizen is currently being held by the Department of Defense as a “known enemy combatant.”  While this is not the first time an American citizen has traveled to fight with ISIS, the number is thought to be much smaller than those coming from countries in Western Europe, according to the CNN report.


Nigeria, China Reach $5.8 Million Deal For Power Plant

The Nigerian Government is now able to build the biggest power plant in the country after reaching a deal with a consortium of Chinese state-owned construction firms. The $5.8 million price tag for the project will be financed largely by the Chinese Export-Import Bank, which will provide 85 percent of the cost. The Nigerian government will contribute the other 15 percent.  According to the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, four dams that range from 50 to 150 meters high will be constructed and the projected is scheduled to take six years before completion.  Minister Fashola also said that the project will “have a transformational effect on all of Nigeria’s socio-economic development,” which he added will include tourism and agricultural development.


North Korea Launches Missile over Japan

North Korea launched yet another missile Friday, the first one to follow the significant missile test made by the North Koreans more than a week ago.  The missile was launched from the site of Pyongyang’s international airport and flew over the northern part of Japan before landing in the Pacific Ocean.  This comes one day after the North Koreans threatened that Japan should be “sunken into the sea.” The launch brought heavy condemnation from the United States, with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson saying, “These continued provocations only deepen North Korea’s diplomatic and economic isolation.” Three days before, the United Nations Security Council approved new sanctions against North Korea and called for an emergency meeting following Friday’s launch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *