Women’s Lacrosse suffers Loss to Cardinals

By Charles Jardine
Sports Editor

The Franciscan University women’s lacrosse team faced down the Otterbein Cardinals for their second home game this season and lost 15-3 on Tuesday, March 21 at 5 p.m.

The Cardinals controlled the draw and worked their way down in the first minute to score the first goal, putting them up 1-0. After a failed attack attempt, the Cardinals gained possession once more in the third minute, working down the field for their second goal of the game.

The Cardinals maintained control and scored again in the sixth and seventh minutes of the first quarter to put them up at 4-0 early.

The Lady Barons called a timeout to regroup and held off the Cardinals’ powerful attack for the rest of the quarter.

Sophomore midfield Theresa Lyle controlled the draw to start the second quarter, but after a turnover on each side, the Cardinals held the possession and scored in the fourth minute of the second quarter.

The Lady Barons continued to be on the defensive for the next several minutes, having to defend and clear the ball to release pressure. It was only a matter of time until the Cardinal offense broke through again, scoring in the 10th and 11th minute to give them a 7-0 lead over the Lady Barons.

The Lady Barons showed some offensive promise with a couple shots on goal from graduate student attack Grace Deegan and junior attack Kathryn Brehm. The Cardinals tacked on two more goals before halftime.

The Cardinals scored quickly in the third minute of the third quarter making the lead 10. Off the Cardinal goal Deegan controlled possession of the draw and scored the Lady Barons’ first goal of the game, making the score 10-1.

With an offensive spark, the Lady Barons looked to control the game, with a shot on goal from junior defense Christina Haug, followed by another Deegan goal, cutting the lead to eight.

The Cardinals reset and responded with a goal in the seventh minute bringing the lead back to nine. Keeping the pressure on the Cardinals worked through the Lady Baron defense and scored again in the eighth minute making the lead 10 again. Before the quarter finished, the Cardinals scored once more bringing the score to 13-2.

In the fourth quarter Deegan scored her third goal of the game and the final goal for the Lady Barons, while the Cardinals continued to maintain possession and scored two more of their own goals. The game finished with a score of 15-3.